Cobb & Co. operated the mail run from Dandaloo to Trangie. The mail coach left Dandaloo at 4.30 am for Trangie, returning at sundown. At the Boggy Cowal near Trangie, water sometimes came up to the coach floor as the coach teams crossed the plain. Trangie's Royal Hotel dates from the days of Cobb & Co.
Dandaloo was a coach stop and settlement on the road from Peak Hill to Nyngan and Cobar. The town boasted two hotels, a store, racecourse, post office, police station and Cobb & Co. changing station. When the railway line extended to Trangie in 1882, Dandaloo like so many, other coaching towns faded. The history of the area is reflected in Dandaloo's three cemeteries, church and post office. The road from Trangie to Dandaloo follows the tracks of Cobb & Co.
The Rabbit Trap Hotel at Albert is part of Australian tradition, being the model for the cartoonist Jolliffe's pub featured in the renowned Saltbush Bill cartoon series. Drop in and sample the hospitality.
The town of Tottenham is located 40 km from the geographic centre of NSW. A cairn to the west of the town marks the exact point. Travel to Nevertire through the broad acre farmland of Tadbatong and Cathundral districts.
The name is thought to describe the vast plains that go on, and on, and nevertire. Established as a pastoral holding by the Readford's who founded Warren, Nevertirc came to prominence in the 1880s as a railway town. Teamsters delivered wool and copper ore to the rail yard for dispatch to Sydney. The teamsters and coaches in turn serviced the region beyond the railhead. By 1886 the town boasted two butcher shops, one store, two hotels and four coaches travelling to Warren. The Railway Hotel is situated on the site of an earlier hotel and was the location for the town well.
Coaches and teamsters travelled from Nevertire to Warren across Snakes Plain. During wet weather the track became a quagmire. Inns and shanties established along the track to cater for the teamsters and travellers. 'Austcott' and 'Egelabra', located on the Warren Road, are integral parts of the agricultural industry as well as being sites of early hotels where Cobb & Co. stopped. The rail line to Warren was opened on 1 January 1898. Warren was a coaching stop and railhead distribution point for the Bourke and Coonamble districts. A network of coach tracks followed the watercourses linking the settlements of the area. Buildings from the coaching days include many of the hotels and Ellengerah post offices that still operate today.
7 GIN GIN
The Cobb & Co. changing station was located near the former Post Office. This building is visible from the road. The Gin Gin Weir is located 9 km from Gin Gin off the road to Narromine. Built in 1895 the Weir provides a scenic picnic spot. The Naomi Cotton Gin is located at Gin Gin. Tours of the facility can be arranged by contacting Trangie, Warren or Narromine Visitor Centres.